In this blog I will show you How to make Mini Laptop at home using Raspberry Pi. This mini laptop has 1 GB RAM, Quad core CPU, 4 USB Ports and One Ethernet port. This mini laptop meets daily life needs and smoothly runs programs like VLC media player , Mozilla Firefox , Arduino IDE, Libre Office, Libre CAD etc…
For convenience of using and reading the Display of the how to make mini laptop at home was chosen to be 7 inch (IPS technology) HD Display.
The 5600 mAh battery pack provides the power to the mini laptop. Once fully charged the mini laptop runs for about 2 hrs.This means you can use the raspberry pi 2 for your future projects (good news for Raspberry pi enthusiasts).
First see our how to make mini laptop at home video post on YouTube channel so you can easily understand full blog. If you like our video than subscribe our YouTube channel Creativity buzz.
When I first started making this project, I had other plans including way more complex electronics and designs. But in the end it all came down to these components
Tools to be used:-
Material to be used:-
- Raspberry Pi 3
- 7″ LCD Screen with LCD Adapter
- Small Bluetooth USB Keyboard
- Mini Speaker
- 5600 mAh USB Power Bank
- Mini Switch
- 16 GB Memory Card Class 10
- 3.5 mm Audio Jack
- Plastic Box 11 x 17 cm
STEP : 1 HOW TO MAKE MINI LAPTOP AT HOME
If you like video than share with your friends and subscribe our YouTube channel.
STEP : 2 DESIGN WORK
To make this project we first make design, we buy the plastic box of size 11 x 17 cm. Which have opening on top, you can buy this box from stationary shop. You Can also use 3D Printed case for this laptop, all component must be adjust in this box.
I Place Raspberry Pi Left Bottom side and Power bank at Right Bottom side of Box. Than I Place 7″ inch display to opening of Box.
STEP : 3 REVIEW ALL COMPONENT
- The Display : The display / screen I opted for was a 7 Inch IPS technology HD display. This Display was extremely thin and suited my design.
- Key board : I use Bluetooth operated USB mini Keyboard as per my design.This was the best and smallest Key Board I found in the local market.You can use keyboard from a tablet PC case. This was the best and smallest Key Board I found in the local market.
- Raspberry Pi 3 : The laptop I made “The Pi-Berry Laptop” is built around the Raspberry Pi 3. It has 1 GB RAM, Quad core CPU, 4 USB Ports and One Ethernet port.
STEP : 4 POWER SUPPLY
The power-bank we chose should have important features : Pass-Through Charging (PTC) which means that we should be able to simultaneously charge and use the laptop at the same time.
I Take 5600 mAh Power Bank and open bottom case of this power bank. Than I apply some force bottom to top side.Than take soldering iron and soldering two wire to negative and positive pole.Than close this case as per picture.
After closing you need to joint male USB pin to this + & – wire with one on/off switch as per picture.
Step 5: CHOOSING THE OPERATING SYSTEM
The choice of the operating system totally depends on the type of work you do. I wanted the functions of a desktop so I went with Raspbian Pi OS. There are a few other’s to be considered:
- Raspbian: Raspbian is the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s official supported operating system. You can install it with NOOBS or image. Raspbian comes pre-installed with plenty of software for education, programming and general use.
- Ubuntu Mate: Ubuntu MATE is a stable, easy-to-use operating system with a configurable desktop environment. Ideal for those who want the most out of their computers and prefer a traditional desktop metaphor.
- OSMC : (Open Source Media Center) is a free and open source media player based on Linux and founded in 2014 that lets you play back media from your local network, attached storage and the Internet.
Step 6: INSTALLING THE OPERATING SYSTEM
Once you are decided with the operating system you want to go with, time to install it on the raspberry pi 3. Raspberry pi 3 boots from the SD card. So we have to get the image onto the SD card.
Which type of SD card is Best?
- The recommendation of the size of the SD card depends on the Operating system we install. I used 16GB class 10 micro SD card. Class 10 cards are faster to boot and perform read write operations.
Writing the IMAGE of the O.S to the SD card is done by Burning the image file using the Win32 Disc Imager.
- Using the SD Formatter tool Format the SD card.
- Open the Win32 Disk Imager and locate the image you downloaded. Click on “Write“ once ready.
- Wait for the writing to complete.
- Once the writing is finished, safely eject the SD card from the computer.
- If you followed the steps correctly the raspberry pi should Boot successfully with the OS.
Step 6: COMPONENT WORKING TEST
- First of all take Raspberry Pi 3 and take Display adapter to joint with raspberry pi 3.
- Than take 7 inch display and joint with other end of display adapter.
- Insert Raspbian OS imager 16 GB Memory Card inside slot of memory card of raspbian pi 3.
- Than connect 5600 mAh Power supply to raspbian pi 3.
- Switch ON and see yellow light glow up on raspbian pi 3 and 7″ led display start or not ?
- If working well then go to next step.
Step 7: FINAL ASSEMBLY
- First of all take Cutter and make hole for raspbian pi 3 , power bank charging and switch.
- Using small amount of glue to just hold the display in place.
- Glue Raspberry Pi 3 on their appropriate locations.
- Hot glue the Power Supply on the respective places.
- Connect the connections of the Raspberry pi 3 to Display Driver and power Supply.
HOW TO MAKE MINI LAPTOP AT HOME
Finally, the Pi Laptop is almost done! Its fully usable and works like a small laptop. I hope you guys liked it! Open and Switch on laptop. Raspberry pi should Boot successfully with the OS If all step is correct. Connect Bluetooth USB Keyboard and enjoy your Laptop.
if you like my blog than please share with your friends also….thanks